PDA

View Full Version : the B cord

tetehomer
01-29-2005, 11:00 PM
OK.. the B cord is driving me crazy.. i have been playing for 3 months so im not a pro or ne thing but i know some of the basic cords.. enough to play some of the songs on the site but i can never get the b cord!! I know I am going to sound stupid but i dont have 6 fingers to use! so if someone could explain that cord to me that would be GREAT!! Thanks

tetehomer

Mickey
01-29-2005, 11:58 PM
I cheat. :) Most B chords are needed in an E A B C# song. I use slightly different chords for the A, B and C# in these cases. They are:

A - http://www.tabcountry.com/chord/169
B - http://www.tabcountry.com/chord/69
C# - http://www.tabcountry.com/chord/74

It's really easy to slide between them and they have a cool sound to them. However, they're not technically accurate. I guess it depends what you're playing for.

ammamunia
04-02-2005, 09:12 PM
A standard major chord will have three notes in it, but you can play more than one of those notes at a time.

For instance, let's use the B chord.

Ok. B major (B) consists of three notes. B, D#, and F#. B is the root note, D# is the third, and F# is the fifth. The D# and F# are the third and fifth because that's what they would appear as in the B scale (<b>B, </b>C#, <b>D#, </b>E, <b>F#, </b>G#, A#, B).

The most common way to play a B chord on the guitar is:

E---X
A---2 (B)
D---4 (F#)
G---4 (B)
B---4 (D#)
E---2 (F#)

Now, you can play the low E string on the 2nd fret, but most chords sound best if the lowest note played is the root note of the chord (B), so most people don't play the low E string.

Number your fingers 1-4. Your index finger being 1, and your pinky being 4.

You would play the D, G, and B strings with your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th finger (in that order). Since you've only got one finger left, it seems impossible to play the A and high E strings on the 2nd fret. That's where the barring technique comes in. In order to barre a fret, take (usually) your index finger, and lay it across all of the strings, and press all of them. This wont be easy, and will take practice before you can get all of them pressed down good.

Now, I'll adress the chords Mickey suggested using. The A chord that he suggested is actually and A2 (X02200). To make an A chord (as you probably know), you play X02220.

Power chords (more accurately referred to as fifth chords) are formed by leaving out the third note in a chord, so you're playing the root as the lowest note, the fifth as the middle note, and (optionally) the root as the highest note.

To make a power chord, you use a fairly simple shape. If you wanted to make a B power chord (which is what Mickey suggested as his B), you would find the B note on either the low E or A string of your guitar. B happens to be the 2nd fret on the A string. you press that with your index finger. Then, you go to the next string (D) with your ring finger, and press a note two frets higher than the root (which makes it the fourth fret). That will give you the F#. To make the high B, go to the next string (G), and press the fourth fret for that, too.

If the chord were written as a tab, it would look like this.

E--X
A--2
D--4
G--4
B--X
E--X

This method can be applied to any chord.

Mickey suggested the same method for his C# chord.

Let me know if you're confused with anything, and I'll be glad to explain it further.

darl
04-03-2005, 08:12 PM
I have also been playing for a little over three months. The B chords are difficult but with a lot of practice WE will get it! I can remember when i thought the F chord was hard, now i can play it!!

ammamunia
04-09-2005, 07:25 AM
I have also been playing for a little over three months. The B chords are difficult but with a lot of practice WE will get it! I can remember when i thought the F chord was hard, now i can play it!!

The F chord is probably the hardest major chord to play in all of guitar, but once you practice it for a week, or two, it's second nature.

jcmorgan31
05-26-2005, 11:12 AM
I have started playing the "A" chord with my pinky, ring, and middle finger. When you play the "B" you can slide these same three fingers down and bar with your index finger. When you get used to playing the "A" with those fingers, it makes the "B" easier. Works for me anyway. Hope you get it.

cmg707
08-18-2005, 04:10 PM
Just barre the second fret with your index finger and play an A chord on the fourth fret with you ring finger.

RegularRodeo7
09-13-2005, 10:52 PM
i flat out my A chord with my index finger. & I play a B with my index barred and then i hold down the 3 other strings with my ring finger.

Thommo
09-19-2005, 06:15 PM
I'm still struggling a bit with B, but personally I find Bm a little less painful - perhaps a good starting point, rather than hopping in at the deep end?

Peck
11-16-2005, 08:41 PM
I cheat. :) Most B chords are needed in an E A B C# song. I use slightly different chords for the A, B and C# in these cases. They are:

A - http://www.tabcountry.com/chord/169
B - http://www.tabcountry.com/chord/69
C# - http://www.tabcountry.com/chord/74

It's really easy to slide between them and they have a cool sound to them. However, they're not technically accurate. I guess it depends what you're playing for.
whoa
together with X79900 you get a very Dave matthews vibe
of course you could just play B as a power chord
755XXX or X244XX

bjbg29
11-16-2005, 10:08 PM
u can make it easier by not fretin.. bec sometimes if ur hand is small.. its hard to do those kind of chord.. u can do it like this

thinest------2-----------------------
--------4---------------------
--------4--------------------
--------4--------------------
-----------------------------
thickest-----------------------------

or

||------------|------------|-----------|-----------
||------------|------------|-----------|-----------
||------------|------------|-----------|-----0-----
||------------|------0-----|-----------|-----------

somethin like that.. :rolleyes:

or

e-
b-
g-8
d-9
a-9
e-

thts easier

MaJor7th
06-14-2006, 07:46 PM
If I were you I would go buy a book that covers guitar chords and chord changes. Don't do it all on your own. there is a flood of information out there and about a million books to show you were chords are. the B chord can be played all over the fret board.

country_girls_can
09-24-2007, 02:45 PM
:rolleyes: im sorry, i cant give any helpful advise